The Mercury supplies information and enjoyable each single day—however your assist is important. In the event you imagine Portland advantages from sensible, native journalism and humanities protection, please think about making a small month-to-month contribution, as a result of with out you, there isn’t any us. Thanks in your help!
The DOJ will attempt to attraction a Trump choose’s current ruling that overturned the CDC’s masks mandate at airports and on different public transportation. Spencer Platt / Getty Information
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! First, let’s test the climate, and… oh, by no means thoughts, it is the same as it ever was. (However we are able to count on some solar on Saturday!) Now let’s DO THAT NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Washington County District Lawyer Kevin Barton is in a decent race with a progressive candidate making an attempt to unseat him, so what lazy ways is Barton taking? Why, demonizing the town of Portland and making an attempt to scare voters into believing that he is “the one barrier conserving suburban Washington County from descending into Portland-level lawlessness.” Oh, FFS, proper?? Take a look at this tremendous attention-grabbing article from our Alex Zielinski for more information about this mendacity sack of you-know-what.
Additionally, shout out to Barton’s marketing campaign group for refusing an interview as a result of, “We’re targeted on group outreach efforts in Washington County utilizing media learn by Washington County residents.” https://t.co/uecsklFwjb
— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) April 20, 2022
• VERY MUCH RELATED: A bunch of rich Portland property house owners, builders, and actual property individuals are pooling their money to unseat Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty whereas pushing the business-friendly Vadim Mozyrsky in subsequent month’s main election. They’re additionally throwing their cash behind present Commissioner Dan Ryan—which is definitely very useful in letting us know who we must always NEVER VOTE FOR IN A MILLION YEARS.
• Many Oregon nurses working for Windfall say they’re overworked, underpaid, and have crappy well being advantages, and are now threatening to strike until administration listens to their calls for. The nurses plan on holding a strike vote within the subsequent two weeks.
The expansion of Oregon’s wolf inhabitants slowed considerably final 12 months as a result of 21 animals had been poisoned by poachers, hit by vehicles or had been killed by wildlife officers after they attacked livestock. https://t.co/yCbAwLFvtr
— OPB (@OPB) April 20, 2022
• In the present day in “Not a Good Look”: “Oregon has $5.3B invested in fossil fuel companies.”
• There is a new craft CBD cocktail bar on the town, they usually’re doing god’s work to destigmatize hashish. Take a look at our Janey Wong’s evaluate of Hemp Bar—after which rush over and check out some!
• This is that scorching new film everybody’s speaking about:
The good movie “Memoria” (opening Friday at @cinema21pdx) gently builds to a finale as emotionally overwhelming as it’s existentially Earth-shattering. @EclecticHutch has the evaluate.https://t.co/PAkXqBMJri
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) April 20, 2022
IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• In an try to freak out different nations, Russia’s Vladimir Putin announced a long-range missile test, warning the remainder of the world that these “who threaten our nation… ought to assume twice.” (OooOOOOooooH! I would be scared however I am too busy laughing about his best warship that got sunk final week!) In the meantime, the west continues to send heavy artillery to help Ukraine as Russia presses into the japanese portion of the nation.
• The CDC—with assist from the Justice Division— is looking for to launch an appeal following the overturning of their transportation mask mandate by a Trump-appointed Florida federal choose. (Whose judgements must be appealed in any and each case.)
Breaking Information: The Justice Division will attraction a court docket ruling placing down the federal masks mandate on public transportation, on the CDC’s request. https://t.co/ZRYXkRG7p5
— The New York Instances (@nytimes) April 20, 2022
• The Tennessee GOP has kicked a Trump-approved candidate off their upcoming ballot—as a result of she apparently does not meet sure necessities (which can or might not imply being accredited by Trump).
• The sudden lack of 200,000 subscribers have Netflix shareholders nervous, prompting the corporate to take aim at the customers who have been sharing passwords. Orrrrrr… perhaps they need to simply enhance their annoying and clunky interface?
“I don’t assume you’re actual,” an especially sweaty Trump fumed earlier than telling Piers Morgan he was “very dishonest.” On the finish of the quick clip, Trump was seen strolling off after shouting “flip the digicam off.” https://t.co/9pM6vXpFDf
— The Day by day Beast (@thedailybeast) April 20, 2022
• Blissful 4/20! Let’s help our native weed retailers, and MAKE THIS HAPPEN: “Pot shop robberies are fueling calls for a U.S. banking bill.”
• CALLING ALL PIZZA LOVERS! Your favourite week of the 12 months is right here: It’s the Mercury’s PIZZA WEEK that includes $3 specialty slices at 28 areas throughout the Portland space, beginning NOW by way of Sunday, April 24! Eat ’em up!
• And eventually… nature strikes again.
The Boomerang tree claims one other sufferer…🤦♂️😂🌲🪃 pic.twitter.com/aAxj97nOR8
— Fred Schultz (@FredSchultz35) April 20, 2022